Membership of the Association has grown steadily since its inception. It has members in almost every local authority in England, Scotland and Wales and has members from the Northern Ireland Electoral Office, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. There are also members who are permanently resident overseas. Most local authorities have multiple members. Full Members are from every level of local government from junior officers with very little electoral experience to senior managers with extensive experience. The total number of Members currently exceeds 1800.
The Association has six categories of membership:-
- Past service
Full details about those categories can be found in the membership terms and conditions.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Association is not able to accept membership applications from persons who are employed outside the UK. All services provided to members are based on electoral practices and matters governed by UK law and therefore will offer limited or no value to persons employed outside the UK.
The current subscription is £57.00 (including £9.50 VAT) for Full, Commercial and Affiliate members. Persons applying to join will be granted membership up to 30 September in the (membership) year the application is made, on payment of the subscription. However, applicants during the months of August and September in any (membership) year will be granted membership until 30 September in the following year. There is no charge for Past Service Membership.
Please note that the Membership year is 1 October to 30 September. Membership will lapse on 30 September and will need to be renewed from 1 October on payment of the fee current at that time. If a Member cancels their Membership at any time during the Membership year, no part of the fee paid is refundable. Should a person become a Member after 1 August in any year, their membership will not lapse until 30 September the following year.
Benefits of Membership
One of the great advantages of membership is networking with other administrators nationwide. We offer numerous opportunities to connect with colleagues both locally and across the UK, as well as acting as a central point to share information, find answers to questions, attend training or study for a qualification.
Here are some of the many benefits of AEA membership:
- Access to a members-only area of our website for full, apprentice and past service members, which is updated daily with the latest news and new information. Access to this area also includes access to:
- our invaluable members’ forum to ask questions and share best practice
- advice and updates from our meetings with the Electoral Commission, Cabinet Office, and other key stakeholders
- our member support pages containing our professionally produced guidance, template resources, FAQs, and member good practice.
- A weekly newsletter containing news, items of interest and details of the most important new information available on our website; a link is emailed directly to every members. Back copies are archived on our website (in the members’ area).
- A monthly e-magazine, ‘Arena’, containing news, information and articles outlining AEA work taking place at a national level on behalf of members. Other items of interest are also regularly submitted by AEA officers and Back copies of Arena are archived on our website.
- Access to meetings of your allocated branch at which you can network with other branch members and be informed first-hand of Association activities as well as receive updates from key stakeholders such as the Electoral Commission and Cabinet Office.
- Reduced rates for all training courses including our Foundation Course via the member support fund.
- Reduced rates for our Annual Conference and the opportunity to apply for a bursary to help advance your career.
- The opportunity to study for our nationally recognised qualifications.
- Access to a valuable network of local authority electoral officials who can offer support and advice at a practical level, both individually and through our branch network.
- Access to our dedicated member support to provide guidance or answers to any election or electoral registration queries you may have.
- Access to 24-hour telephone advice and counselling service provided by the Hospital and Medical Care Association (HMCA)
We have active Facebook and Twitter accounts. Follow us to make sure you keep fully up to date with the latest news and information. Don’t forget to tag or message us if there’s anything you’d like us to share.
Find us on Facebook at Association of Electoral Administrators
Find us on Twitter at @AEA_Elections
Some branches also run their own social media and your Branch Secretary will be able to provide you with these details.