The AEA is pleased to provide details of the 2024 programme for the Foundation Course in Electoral Administration.
This Foundation Course is established as one of the leading sources of training in electoral administration in the country. It is primarily aimed at new entrants to the profession and at those staff wishing to go on and undertake the Association’s Qualification.
The Foundation Course was launched in 2004 with the twin aims of:
- providing a sound knowledge base for new entrants in both electoral registration and elections administration
- preparing AEA members for undertaking the Certificate level of the Association’s Qualification.
The course will also be suitable for those more experienced staff who need a refresher or to get up to date with the ever-changing legal and administrative background to electoral administration. The content is currently being updated to take account of the changes introduced by the Elections Act 2022, and deliveries in 2023 will reflect those changes.
There are six modules:
- Module Gen1 – covering cross cutting themes such as data protection, dies non, publicity, use of school/public rooms.
- Module ER1 – Electoral Registration Officer and the registration process.
- Module ER2 – annual canvass, publication and supply of the electoral register, absent voting applications and other registration issues.
- Module EA1 – Returning Officer, election timetables, nominations and election documents.
- Module EA2 – agents, postal voting and polling stations.
- Module EA3 – staffing arrangements, the count and post count procedures.
The six modules are based largely on the Certificate syllabus and a detailed list of the individual topics to be covered is available here – Foundation Course Syllabus.
The course will be delivered by AEA accredited trainers using detailed course notes which will be made available to all those attending. These notes form the complete Foundation Course manual, a pdf version of which will be supplied to all those who attend all six modules of the course.
There are two options available for those wanting to undertake the Foundation course – a four-day residential course or an online course over five days delivered using Microsoft Teams.
In England and Wales, members wishing to undertake the Certificate who are unable to demonstrate three years relevant work experience must have completed or will complete the Foundation Course by the end of the calendar year in which they wish to register.
Please note, because of potential coronavirus implications, the AEA reserves the right to move any course online if face to face delivery becomes impractical.
2024 course delivery details
England – Spring Foundation online via Microsoft Teams
Module Gen1 & ER1 Thursday 18 January 2024
Module ER2 Friday 19 January 2024
Module EA1 Monday 22 January 2024
Module EA2 Wednesday 24 January 2024
Module EA3 Friday 26 January 2024